Sunday, July 15, 2012

Pineapples = Happiness :)

 In January, I was feeling those wintertime blues and wanted to do something fun and 'summery'. I missed my garden, summer flowers, and beach days. *sigh* What is one to do? I thought about it and decided a impromptu cookout was just what was needed to erase the gloom of winter days.  I threw on some flip flops, grabbed some spare change and headed out to our local store to see what I could find. Hamburger, pasta and fruit salad were at the top of my list! As I strolled around the store, I got a few strange looks but was not deterred. I am not sure whether the flip flops or the little scream I let out, when I saw a big pineapple in the fruit section, frightened people more..lol.

I was so excited for my little cookout. The cashier asked me what I was going to do with the pineapple I had purchased. I told her I was making a fruit salad but it got me thinking (I tend to over think things..lol)....

 Hum... what ALL can I do with a pineapple??


  Was this an ultimate challenge in frugality? Why yes it was...at least in my mind! lol. My creativity was launched into high gear and that summer blissful feeling started taking over. I did some research and found a few ways to use the entire pineapple, rind and all!


 We here at the Cherry house believe in the old adage 'waste not; want not'. So here is what I did,  I cut up the pineapple and put the top and rinds off to the side. I added the pineapple to my fruit salad because I just knew bunch of yummy fruit and vitamins will chase away those winter blues! We even had enough for brunch the next day! :)


 I used the leftover fruit to make pineapple jam and the rinds to make homemade enzyme cleaner.




You can find my blog post on how to make this fantastic cleaner here: http://thecherryhouselife.blogspot.com/2012/06/homemade-enzyme-cleaner.html

I typically go to the pick-your-own website http://www.pickyourown.org/pineapple_jam.php or the ball canning website for canning recipes.

As if all that isn't fabulous, here is the best part..
Are you ready????


You can grow your own pineapple plant from the top part of your store bought pineapple!!!

That's right, never buy a pineapple again and get a free plant!! EKKKK!!! Aren't you excited!!! I could just feel those winter blues washing away while dreaming of my very own pineapple plant growing in our home!

First I took off  about 1/3 of the lower leaves on the pineapple top exposing some of the roots. They are very tiny, don't worry if you can't see them. Then I put the 'exposed' part in water (propping it up with a toothpick or two, if needed, won't hurt it).
I left the pineapple top in the water, changing the water out every few days, until I could actually see more roots growing. This took about a month. I was pretty discouraged because the leaves started to turn brown. I decided it wouldn't hurt anything to put it in some potting soil and hope for the best.

Tic Toc...Tic Toc...

As spring came and went, I watered it thoroughly once a week, every week. Nothing seemed to be happening but today, my patience and frugal ways paid off! A little over 6 months later, I have a new plant forming!! EKKKK!!! I cannot tell you how over the moon I was to see my pineapple top actually growing! I am sooo glad I did not throw it away.



Here it is, isn't it BEAUTIFUL!!!

Who knew a winter time trip to the grocery could be so exciting and actually chase away those winter blues! lol.  I am assuming you could start your own pineapple plant any time of year but I will say the summer heat seems to help, meaning if you start now,  it might not take as long for your pineapple top to grow a new plant. :)


 I think this coming winter I will beat the winter blues by putting a lounge chair next to my pineapple plant, maybe even a little kid pool, and create my own summer oasis. :)

I will post more pictures as it grows! Be sure to check back in at The Cherry House Life for updates! :)




1 comment:

  1. pretty neat. I am going to have to try that with the pineapple we just bought.

    ReplyDelete